About the College | Newark Campus
Robinson Hall, shown here, is the administrative base of the University of Delaware College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment. Located on UD's main campus in Newark, the building accommodates about 40% of the college's faculty and students.
One of the oldest buildings on campus, Robinson Hall formerly was known as "Science Hall" and was one of the first buildings of the University's Women's College. In 1940, the building was renamed "Robinson Hall" in honor of Dr. Winifred Robinson, first dean of the Women's College. Today, Robinson Hall houses two of the College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment' five research centers: the Center for Remote Sensing and the Gerard J. Mangone Center for Marine Policy. It also is the administrative base of the Delaware Sea Grant College Program.
Pearson Hall, shown here, is named in honor of University benefactors Edith du Pont Pearson and her late husband, longtime trustee G. Burton Pearson, Jr.
The Geography Department is housed in Pearson Hall. Formerly known as Central Middle School of the Christina School District, Pearson Hall also houses the department's GIS lab, faculty offices as well as a number of administrative offices, instructional TV studios, a student-run TV studio and the University Archives.
Penny Hall (shown above) is named in memory of Prof. Charles Lyndell Penny, who taught geology and mineralogy at the University from 1900-24; the building houses the Department of Geology. It was a gift of the family of Irenee du Pont (1876-63), and it also houses the University Mineralogical Museum, which has a collection of more than 6,000 specimens.
All of the Geological Sciences research laboratories, offices and teaching laboratories are located in Penny Hall. The building is named in memory of Professor Charles Lyndell Penny, who taught geology and mineralogy at the University from 1900-1924. It was a gift of the family of Irenee du Pont (1876-63), and it also houses the University Mineralogical Museum named in his honor. The museum has a collection of more than 6,000 mineral specimens.
The Lammot du Pont Laboratory houses the marine chemistry labs on the Newark campus. They include state-of-the-art clean rooms for the analysis of trace elements in a contamination-free setting. The Ocean Engineering Lab in DuPont Hall, home to faculty from the Center for Applied Coastal Research who hold joint appointments in the Physical Ocean Science and Engineering Program, also houses the CEOE Environmental Fluids Lab. The college's Marine Public Education Office, which handles projects ranging from media relations to on-line ocean expeditions for schoolchildren around the world, is based in UD's General Services Building.