Listen to the Call from the Deep!
To see a transcript of the schools questions just click on
the State's name.
Fitch Senior High School,
Hickory High School, Hickory,
Sumter County Comprehensive High School,
Springfield South High School,
Glen Oaks High School,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Wickford Middle School,
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Our Lady of the Snows School
West Valley Middle School,
| NEW HAMPSHIRE
Middle School at Parkside,
Manchester, New Hampshire
Fitch Senior High School, Groton, Connecticut
Teacher: Stephanie Mickle
1. What things on the ship make it feel like home (foods, spare-time
2. What body characteristics do the creatures have that let them live
under the extreme pressure of the deep sea? What would happen if they
tried to live in shallower water?
Sumter County Comprehensive High School, Americus, Georgia
Teacher: Vickie Peace
1. Can you keep the deep-sea organisms alive on the Atlantis after you
collect them, and if so, how?
2. What is the most interesting thing that you have seen while in Alvin?
Glen Oaks High School, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Teacher: Sharon Faulk
1. Do you ever bring students out to the dive site?
2. Have you discovered any medicines from your studies? How has this
research benefited mankind?
Our Lady of the Snows School
Teacher: Teresa Kennedy
1. If you were doing the same exploration mission on the moon of Europa,
how do you imagine that your experiments and sampling would be different?
2. At these depths, do you observe living creatures at places not on the
(5) NEW HAMPSHIRE
Middle School at Parkside, Manchester, New Hampshire
Teacher: Kim Saltmarsh
1. What do you do to help the Alvin if something malfunctions when it
on the bottom of the ocean?
2. Have any of you ever gotten claustrophobia? If yes, what do you do
get over it?
(6) NORTH CAROLINA
Hickory High School, Hickory, North Carolina
Teacher: Gena Barnhardt
1. What physical preparation and educational background is required to
work on the research vessel, and how are scientists selected for the dive?
2. What new discoveries have you made during your expedition and how
would you like to expand your research due to these discoveries?
Springfield South High School, Springfield, Ohio
Teacher: Pamela Clark
1. What, if any, are the effects of pollutants on life in the deep sea?
2. How were the three persons selected to be in the Alvin? Is there a
special training (i.e., like the astronauts go through) to be aboard?
you conduct practice dry-runs?
(8) RHODE ISLAND
Wickford Middle School, North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Teacher: Nancy LaPosta-Frazier
1. What is going through your mind when you are getting ready to launch
2. What must you accomplish in order to call this a successful mission?
(9) WASHINGTON STATE
West Valley Middle School, Yakima, Washington
Teacher: Midge Yergen
We are going to be learning about the tube worms and palm worms found
the Endeavor Segment of the Juan de Fuca Ridge. How do they compare to
the tube worms and pompeii worms found at your site?
What would you have to do if the robotic arm you use to pick up
equipment and samples got stuck between the rocks?