Listen to the Call to the Deep!
To see a transcript of the schools questions just click on
the State's name.
Cross Middle School
Maritime Magnet High School/
South Broward High School
Thornton High School
South Boston High School
South Boston, Massachusetts
Christiana High School
Kinawa Middle School
Talley Middle School
Poplar Bluff Junior High School
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Woodbridge High School
Kulshan Middle School
Cross Middle School, Tucson, Arizona
Teacher: Laura Crosby
1. We noticed that there is a machine that calculates the number of viruses
detected in the specimen. Do you take any precautions and are you at all
concerned about finding a virus that is lethal to humans, much like the
Ebola virus found in the depths of the rainforest?
2. In the video there was the statement that you would be bringing back
specimens to study for the next 2 years. Are you planning on capturing
actual animals? How difficult is that with the claw-like arms and how
do they stay alive at surface where the pressure is considerably less
than what they are used to?
Thornton High School, Thornton, Colorado
Teacher: Joe Beydler
1.Why was the "old" Atlantis replaced, and is it still in use, and if
so, for what?
2. What is the scariest, and/or most unusual thing you have seen while
diving in the Alvin?
Christiana High School, Newark, Delaware
Teacher: Kevin Conley
1.What is the most difficult part of the mission (living conditions)?
2. How deep can Alvin go? What limits it?
Talley Middle School, Wilmington, Delaware
Teacher: Hepsi Zsoldos
1.Why is it so important to study hydrothermal vents and deep-sea organisms?
2.What does it feel like to be one of the only people in the world to
see these environments firsthand?
Woodbridge High School, Bridgeville, Delaware
Teacher: Helen Gieske
1. How many people are on the research ship and what are their jobs?
2. How do you know when you are at the exact coordinates for the dive
and that the submersible will land at the appropriate spot?
Maritime Magnet High School/South Broward High School, Hollywood, Florida
Teachers: Ted Davis, Sharon Thomas, Leigh Floyd
1. If something were to go wrong on Alvin during a dive, what type of
equipment on the R/V Atlantis would be used to help rescue the operation?
2. Can any of the animals (found associated with the hydrothermal vent
community) be brought up to the surface and kept alive?
South Boston High School, South Boston, Massachusetts
Teacher: Carl Johnson
1. Are the animals and bacteria found at the Atlantic dive sites and the
Pacific dive sites the same?
2. What physically happens to organisms at 176°F or 80°C that causes death
in most organisms? What are you looking at in the Pompeii worm that could
answer this question?
Kinawa Middle School, Okemos, Michigan
Teacher: Agnes Drzal
1.What education do you need to become a marine biologist aboard the research
2. When there is so much pressure on Alvin, how do you maintain air pressure
and not get the "bends" during your trip to the surface?
Poplar Bluff Junior High School, Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Teacher: Tom Allen
1. What kind of preparations do you have to do on the ship to get ready
to launch Alvin?
2. Can any of the organisms found around the vent site survive in shallower
Kulshan Middle School, Bellingham, Washington
Teacher: Nicole Brown
1. What is the technology involved to make this phone call work?
2. In your experience aboard Alvin, what was the most dangerous event?