The Environmental Public Education Office works closely with CEOE scientists to translate complex research into engaging, easily understandable publications, websites, exhibits, audiovisuals, and online features. The staff also works closely with the print and broadcast media, student recruitment efforts, the Sea Grant Marine Advisory Service, and other Sea Grant programs and marine institutions around the nation to extend information to the public. The office currently:
- Maintains an online News Center, issuing press releases to local, national, and international media outlets, and serving as a liaison between UD experts and the media.
- Manages the CEOE website and provides assistance to faculty and graduate students on building their web presence.
- Develops and maintains the Delaware Sea Grant website, which receives over 1 million visitors each year.
- Manages social media accounts for CEOE and DESG, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Produces video and multimedia products in support of research, education, and outreach activities.
- Produces the e-newsletter At Sea.
- Contributes stories to the University of Delaware's Messenger magazine, among other publications, reaching more than 100,000 readers.
- Produces the Reporter, an annual report detailing Delaware Sea Grant research and outreach activities.
- Develops the monthly "SeaTalk" radio series, broadcast on radio stations in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Helps plan, promote, and develop special exhibits for Coast Day, attracting an average of 10,000 visitors each year to the Hugh R. Sharp Campus in Lewes.
- Produces dozens of publications and distributes thousands of them each year in response to requests from the public.
Environmental Public Education Office staff:
Katy O'Connell, Director
Office: 302-831-0566 Cell: 302-632-7315
Tammy Beeson, Art Director
Leah Dodd, Digital Outreach Specialist
Pamela Donnelly, Communications Specialist I
Karen Roberts, Communications Specialist II
EPE is hiring a Digital Production Intern and a Communications Intern! Click here to learn more >>